1) Wear sunscreen every day. Up to 90% of aging is due to sun exposure, making sunscreen use the easiest way to prevent further damage. Don’t be fooled by winter – the sun is out in all seasons, and can reflect off snow and sidewalks. Take a supplement if you’re concerned about not getting enough sunlight for vitamin D production.
2) Use products in the correct order. Layering products provides the benefit of more specialized ingredients. Apply thinner gels and serums first, followed by thicker and creamier formulations. If you do the opposite, heavier creams will block the absorption of lighter products.
3) Get your beauty sleep. The body repairs itself during sleep – this includes skin cell renewal. Give your body the time, nutrients and hydration it needs to heal and regenerate.
4) Fight free radicals. UV rays, pollution, stress, smoking and other lifestyle choices accelerate aging by creating cell-damaging free radicals. Use products that contain free-radical quenching antioxidants like glutathione, resveratrol, hinokitiol, tea extracts, vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and vitamin E (tocopherol).
5) Don’t forget about your neck and chest. The skin on the neck and chest is thinner with a less rich blood supply than the face. Protect it with nourishing and firming products (like AlumierMD’s Neck & Décolleté Firming Cream) and broad-spectrum sunscreen. Be careful with retinols and exfoliants – they might initially cause irritation on these areas before your skin gains tolerance.
6) Take shorter and fewer hot showers. High temperatures and prolonged exposure to water strips skin of its oils and reduces hydration. Use less water and electricity – and prevent dry, dehydrated skin – with shorter, cooler showers.
7) Moisturize immediately after showering and washing your face. Since the skin cools itself by water evaporation, towel dry skin and apply moisturizer right away to lock in moisture before it escapes.
8) Make sure your body is hydrated. Drink plenty of water each day to stay hydrated and flush out toxins.
9) Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. Focus on including more omega-3s and antioxidants – they work from the inside out to improve skin health.
10) Moisturize often. We produce fewer natural oils as we age, leading to dry, dull-looking skin. Moisturizers maintain hydration, which improves skin texture and increases softness.
11) Exfoliate. Cell turnover and renewal slows as we get older, which can make skin look dull and dehydrated. Exfoliation removes the top layer of dead skin cells – the ones that don’t shed as efficiently– to help skin look more radiant and decrease the appearance of pores. Exfoliating ingredients include lactic acid, retinol, salicylic acid and gentle facial scrubs. Look for AlumierMD’s AHA Renewal Serum, Retinol Plus Resurfacing Serums and Lotus Scrub
12) Wear sunglasses daily. They protect your eyes and the delicate skin around them from the sun’s harmful UV rays, and also help you avoid squinting and frowning, which lead to lines around the eyes (crow’s feet) and between the eyebrows (frown lines).
13) Don’t wear heavy foundation or powder. Choose lighter formulas that won’t settle into fine lines and wrinkles, specially when you are wearing a mask Glow Time Pro BB Cream, Beyond Matte™ Liquid Foundation and PurePressed® Base Mineral Foundation are our recommendations. They give buildable coverage and a wonderful stay-put finish. I recommend applying using our Flocked Sponge in a pressing and rolling motion for additional coverage.
14) Don’t forget to cleanse in the morning. While you sleep, your skin repairs itself, excreting toxins and sebum that can prevent morning products from absorbing into the skin and working optimally. Also, washing your face in the morning removes nighttime products, which may contain ingredients that are not recommended for daytime use, including retinol and acids.
15) Stop smoking. Besides increasing your risk of heart disease and many types of cancers, smoking ages your skin prematurely and causes lines around your lips from the repeated pursing action.
Our AlumierMD range requires a consultation so we can tailor the products to your unique skincare needs. Fill out the form below and we'll be in touch to arrange your virtual or by phone consultation.